Sunday, November 27, 2011

Poor Polish Bystander Witnessed it All

Jona Bongaries (Bystander)
April 19, 1943
Warsaw Ghetto

I remember sitting on my front porch watching all of these Jews being transported to death camps and into the ghettos. The look on their faces, I will never get that image out of my head. The sorrow that was on their faces, their sobs. I would rather be anywhere than there at that moment. I watched thousands of Jews being transferred and I never did anything. What could I do? If I said something I  would probably die. I did not want to take that risk.

Today was worse than any other day. I heard the Jews screaming for mercy and they were being transferred to death camps. Their screams brought me to tears, but I still did nothing. I couldn’t risk dying for people that I did not know. All I could do was wait. Wait for a miracle to save these poor people from death. No one else seemed to care. I felt as though I was the only one, alone forever.

I could have made a difference if I had just stepped up. I cannot live like this anymore. I am going to take my life. I will never be the same after what I have seen. I will live every moment of my life wondering what could have happened if I made a difference. If I stood but for what I believed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment